Maker's Mark Distillery
The original “Burk’s Distillery” was constructed in 1885 just outside of Loretto, Kentucky. T. William “Bill” Samuels bought the operation in 1953 for $35,000. Samuels wanted to make quality, so he used the sales of the existing stockpiles of what he considered inferior Whiskey, to finance a revamp.
The first bottle of the new flagship brand “Makers Mark” was bottled in 1958, and dipped into the red sealing was that has become the company’s trademark. The Makers Mark line was one of the first to carve out a space in what we now call the “premium Bourbon” market.